Sunday, January 6, 2008

Back to the World

Well after so many years of waiting, we are finally here as seconday 4 students. 16 year-old to-be's ready to take the world by store and find someone to watch those NC16 movies we have all been banned from watching when we were little 15 year olds. Of course our worst enemy also dwells in the depths of a cave hidden away in this paradise. We all know it as 'O' levels.

Yes even after that journey of a holiday, the examinations are now back to haunt us and take away the joy of being 16. Of finally being a young adult. I remember those last few moments of 2007 and the first few of 2008. I remember calling up a few of my friends wishing them a happy new year. Of course only 2 replied to my missed calls. Sophie and YunTing. The later calling me up in my sleep =P. I remember the jumps for joy and fits of laughter, ushering in the new year in conversation and sparklers.

The first bold move this year was to form a band. "late december". Founded by Holly and I and spawned from the ecstasy of new years day. Isaac would become our drummer once we have the time and we are still looking for a good guitarist and bassist that enjoys alternative rock. Im on the rythym and Holly's on the keyboard. Both of us do vocals for different songs.

The second bold move I made this year was to let go of something that i held on throughout the holidays. I wont tell you what it is but it would do more good than harm by letting go of it. Lets just say that very few people were benefiting from it so I thought it was the lesser of 2 evils to let go of it. It was a hard thing to do but in the end i fought the beast. It feels good now that I no longer feel it.

Third bold move. I got myself involved in a national education song singing video thing. Basically, MOE are putting up some NE website and they want a music video thing. So we have to sing all sorts of national day songs remixed and all that. Its col except for the fact that its national day songs. Theres this guy who will sort of do differnt versions of the songs. Stand up for singapore became this jazzy kind of mix and it actually sounds pretty cool. Looking at the song sheet, haunting nightmares would return of horrible national day songs unable to escape your brainwashed head and hours of propaganda social studies and television would play over and over again.

Now with the new year under-way, I just wished that each day was a little longer. Even during the holidays, I had tests of my own. Not academically but more emotional and spiritual tests. I was on a real roller coaster ride last month. I still enjoyed the holidays. It gave me a sense of relief that i was still... alive in a sense. Now that school is back, I feel like a brick has been suddenly dropped on me. Suddenly everything is going slow again and I am pressured to study to get into a good JC. So many times, we fly but land abruptly. Maybe thats the world that we have now. A world driven by results when what we really need is to do what we really truly love. To me, it would be film or music but there is so little opportunities to express in those areas nowadays. Til that day comes, its back to the world for us.

Cheers, Markyc

No comments: