Sunday, December 16, 2007

China day 1 (no reflections)

I have just come back from China. It was a very very long and eventful trip that got more eventful and fun as the days in Zhong San passed. A bit of background on Zhong San. Zhong San lies to the south of GuangZhou and is about 2 hours bus ride from GuangZhou, HongKong or Macau. It was initially not known as ZhongSan until it was renamed in honour of Sun Zhong San who was a strong political figure that formed modern china. It is divided into 24 or so different townships and is well known (well not so much) for its chrysantemum flowers and all sorts of other things. It has a population of about 1.4 million, and 80,000 or something more overseas (including my family).

I woke up at around 430 on the day of the flight and reached the airport at around 6ish. Took a ride on the skytrain to T1 because mum parked at T2 =P. At the airport I met the ZhongSan people. My other youthful people such as Andy, Kenneth, Michelle were there as well to take the flight. It was on China Southern. Small plane, average entertainment system (one movie for all), basic ecnomy seats. Played Cards and watched the movie on the plane. It was a chinese movie about this woman who was poor and landed a job as a nurse to some really good policeman who is suffering from lung cancer. apparently the policeman wronged a person long before and that person was suffering a heart disease. The policeman arrested him still. So the story is about redemption and forgiveness, to be able to forgive yourself so that others can forgive you.

When we reached, we met up with YunYin and YunTing, aged 12 and 15. The 2 are sisters and by the end of the trip, they would be my "sisters" as well =P. Got our baggage and went out. China air in Guangzhou isnt AS bad as say... shanghai but the visual range is still around 6 miles. Beyond that is all grey. After a 10 corse meal, we went to the Chrysanthemum festival place. Apparently, it happens once every 7 years or so. I have never seen so many flower arangements in my whole life. There was this huge wall covered in flowers depicting 9 dragons. Then there was this pagoda on top of a hill far off in the distance. The streets were lined with food shops and small little crafting shops. Marcus Koufu and I waited at the sidewalk for about 30 minutes waiting for the others to finish buying their little carved keychains which costs 1 yuan each (20 cents!). It didnt appeal to me though.

The sun sets really early there. it was about 7 when it was totally dark. The sun always set in an orange tone due to the pollution in the air. We made our way for dinner at some steamboat place nearby. I never realised my chinese was THAT bad! I felt really bad about myself cos i had to ask YunTing what Tim (tourgide) was saying most of the time! I got better by the end though. Well I'm gonna put more effort into my chinese next year. Its much more useful than Amaths in my choice of career. At the seafood place, YunTing and I borrowed 500yuan each for shopping during the trip. It was all we ever needed =P. We talked with each other and got to know each other better. Michelle's mum said that Andy liked YunYing who looked like a korean actress when she put on her hairband and pink sweater top thing. Whatever you call it.

We got back to the hotel. FuHua Hotel. Got a room with Marcus Koufu where he gave me a shirt that said "iPood". =P. We then practiced our songs in Andy's room particuarly country road. All in all it was a good day. The Knots of friendship between the group strengthened and we got more comfortable with each other. Thus was the end of the 1st day.

No comments: