Sunday, February 10, 2008

Expectations.

Chinese new year just happened. This year was Dad's year and instead of going up to Malaysia, our relatives came down. On the eve, we met up with Granny and all at Roland's Restaurant. You know that one with the signboard near Parkway? On top of the carpark? Granny's doing quite well. She seems much happier than before. A bit funny actually cos she kept smiling and prefered to stay quiet. She's quite old already. On the first day, nothing much actually really happened. Just had lunch here and dinner there. Oh we went to A.Mei's parents' place. Everyone from my step-family was there. On the second day James and Joanna came down with A.Rosemary and U.Yap. It was quite nice being able to see my cousins again and to know that I'm taller than Joanna now =P. They stayed over and James and I played starcraft until I retired at 2 am. The next morning, we said our goodbyes when Mum came to bring us back home.

Everyone was at home. Everyone but my mother's brothers. Mainly the older generation here to gamble as a custom to every chinese new year. My mum's cousins also came and hang out. I won a dollar playing tai tee as well! It was a real comeback match as i was loosing quite a bit until i had a really good deck and won hands down. It was 4 when i got ready to meet up Catherine and Gable in church. At that exact moment, all the cabs nearby were hailed down because when i got out, there were no free cabs at all. Had to wait a whole 15 minutes before one came. Luckily I wasnt too late for mass. We then met up with our host, Joel and went to his house for an evening of fun and fellowship. Steph, Joan, Jerome and the usual gang were there. We played Blackjack in which I lost miserably. This was after chicken rice and wine dinner btw. Everyone thought that I was drunk cos I kept laughing at random. But really, I wasnt. I was completely sane. Its just how I am all the time when i get too happy. =P
I got home at around 10.45. Mum went for 27 dresses with Holly, Megan and Elsie so they weren't home yet. So passed sunday and now I am here.

It's quite funny how things don't turn out as people expect it to be. It's happened many times before, the unexpected. Man Utd losing to West Ham, Getting the 2 of Spades but not winning in Tai Tee, The different assumptions we make each day turning out to be wrong, how the answers on the maths assesment book can be wrong, all sorts of things. The past few days really surprised me more than a couple of times and half the time, it was good stuff. When people say, expect the unexpected, what if the unexpected was what you would want? What if it so happens to be what you need to carry on? Maybe we are so used to failing that it no longer becomes the "unexpected". Ironic huh? I think I have had many unexpected events that somehow, are good. So I learnt to go by that phrase of expecting the unexpected with the knowledge that the unexpected could be something good.

Cheers,
Markyc

No comments: